Thursday, November 13, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dylan!

Four years ago today, we were at the hospital waiting for the pitocin to kick in so we could meet our baby boy (Dylan was much more cooperative at his ultrasound). We found out on a Friday that we would be going in on Saturday to be induced, but we kept it a secret :) I remember sitting around that Friday night watching TV and trying to process the fact that we would have a baby in our arms in less than 24 hours.

We knew to expect a baby boy when we had Dylan, but he is our first child so that entire part of becoming new parents was completely new to us. He was a pretty big guy - 8 lbs, 8 oz - and I remember Matt peering over him while Dylan got his first bath and Dylan greeting him by shooting a stream of pee on Matt's face :) Dylan was such a good baby, so easy going and such a good sleeper!

Our little man turns four today and I think I might have to stop calling him my baby one of these days. He's growing up in so many ways, and while a mother always misses those baby and toddler days in some sense, I'm very much enjoying the person he's becoming and the conversations we can have. He's starting to ask a lot of the "deep" questions - questions about God and about life and about how everything fits together.

There are days where we butt heads, and I've told Matt and my mom before that sometimes I swear that I'm his least favorite person in the world because he acts up for me in ways that he doesn't for anyone else. My mom also reminds me that he loves me more than anyone else. I guess the mother/son relationship has its own set of complications!

Dylan is our Dilly, our Little Man and we love his sometimes quiet, observant way of looking at the world. He doesn't rush into things, and he's more cautious than his crazy sister. He loves to be surrounded by the people he loves, and he likes certainty and the security that comes with it.

Happy 4th Birthday, Buddy! We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...