Thursday, February 2, 2012

Craft Night {owl art}


February is off and running which means it's time for another edition of Craft Night. This month's theme was Finish It February.

We pinned and pinned and pinned to our group pin board, and in the end, we settled on a new batch of crafts (and a new batch of treats). At the top of our lists this month were these projects:

memory wreath 
heart blossom art  
magazine letter 'i love you' collage 
moss letter
wedding song lyrics board 
paper punch collage 
Valentine's mail boxes 
uh-oh jar 
& crocheting (this is Kara's actual site: check out her goodies!)

I was inspired by Theresa's butterfly kisses art from our Just Do It January craft night. Mady's room features PBK's Brooke bedding, so I found an owl-y paper punch and got to work, following Theresa's instructions as I went.


This particular punch also embosses as it cuts - it's a cute detail but it was also a little finicky. I'm not sure how much that detail shows in a project like this, and it took me a few tries to find the right weight paper (not too thin, not too thick) and the right pressure when punching (too light and it doesn't punch through the paper, too hard and the paper around the owl's eyes tears). 


To properly lay out your critters (or whatever shape you end up using) you will need a ruler, your thinking cap, and a good eye. That was the most painstaking part of the project, but I love how these little guys look all lined up in neat rows. In order to get the 3-D effect like the folded butterflies, I used foam adhesive squares for extra "height" instead of glue dots to stick my owls on.


This is an old 11x14 frame I dug up from the basement. It previously held Dylan's one month baby picture, so it's at least 7 years old. The mat had started to yellow around the edges, so I sprayed it with two coats of chalkboard paint (I also spray primed it first). I used a chalk marker to add a sweet, finishing touch for my little girl: I love WHOO you are.


Five craft nights are in the books and I've loved every minute - the planning, the community, the creating, the snacking - and I really love coming home and proudly displaying something new, something personal, something made with love.


{Supply Details}
Martha Stewart owl double embossed punch


Linking up to:

52 MantelsKatie's Nesting SpotLet Birds Flyhttp://www.thegrantlife.com/search/label/financial%20fridaybeneath my heart

18 comments:

  1. That framed art is ADORABLE! I really love the black mat.

    http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOO STINKING CUTE!
    This is great! I would love it if you come by and link this up at From Scratch Friday tomorrow @ Marriage from Scratch!

    ~Christina
    www.marriagefromscratch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet You!I'm from Greece and you can find me also in HappyLittleDots. blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that both of your girls have something in their room that was made with love by their mama! How special is that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sooo stinkin adorable! Owls are my favorite and I just love how you made it personal for you little lovey! I hope that you will share with my Pink hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/02/pink-hippo-party-66.html
    I am your newest follower~
    p.s. Your list is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 5 year old has loved owls as long as I can remember - this is such a fun idea I might have to create. I will either need to find a punch like that or maybe see if one of my cricut carts has a good owl. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie - Addie has the same PBK Brooke bedroom! I am so going to do this for her! I LOVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this project so so much!! I'm featuring it tomorrow :)

    Thanks so much for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the feature at 52 Mantels! I love just about anything with owls and this project sure turned out great! I want one of those punches. Thanks for sharing this and I'm your newest Linky follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just too adorable! Thank you for linking it up to A Crafty Soiree, I've featured your project in the newest one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a wonderful blog.. I am following you.. And I am featuring this cute idea tonight at 10 CST.. Come and check out other features and grab your happy featured button.. :)
    Have a great weekend
    Love
    Hani

    ReplyDelete
  12. too cute! My niece's birthday theme this year is Owls, so this would make a great gift.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great project! Thanks for linking up! I will be featuring your project in my next post.
    Blessings,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this! Just pinned it! Found you thru Beneath My Heart.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Owls and this is too cute. I love the quote too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sooo sweet!!! I love owls and this is just perfect! Would love for you to link up to our Uncommonly Yours link party! Bonnie ;)

    www.uncommondesignsonline.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...