Wednesday, February 29, 2012

40 bags: week one

Week One of our 40 bags in 40 days challenge is in the bag (Literally. Ha!), and it feels pretty amazing. I started out in my kitchen and aside from my fridge and freezer (tomorrow's task) I've made it through every square inch of the room.

So far I have purged our junk drawers, pantry, kitchen desk area, spice cupboard, under the kitchen sink, and the upper and lower kitchen cupboards/drawers.

I've been Instagram-ing as I go, and here's a peek at my progress:


1. A pre-load off to our favorite local charity.

2. My {first ever} homemade printable displayed in my kitchen.
And yes, I think the chicken is beautiful.

3. Day 1: junk drawers, in progress. (Bonus: I now have a completely empty drawer! I still haven't decided what to do with it.)

4. Day 1, complete.


5. Day 2: pantry.
All cleaned out and sporting some DIY chalkboard labels.

6. Day 3: kitchen desk cupboards (where all the random stuff in our house ends up). The little containers are from Ikea and hold things like batteries, loose change and hair ties. The medicine organization was inspired by my friend T's medicine cabinet.

7. Day 4: spice cupboard.
The first step in my purging process - clear EVERYTHING out.

8. Day 4, complete.


9. This week's to do list.

10. Day 5: under the kitchen sink.
Buh bye, old cleaning products and other riff raff.

11. Day 6: upper kitchen cupboards. 
Side note: Fiestaware makes me happy.

12. Day 7: lower kitchen cupboards & drawers. 
I love me a crumb-free silverware drawer!

When it comes to kitchen stuff, I try not to hold on to it unless it's something I use on a weekly basis (with a few entertaining-related items like our ice bucket and a handful of serving pieces), and I try not to keep duplicates unless I really need them. I also look for pieces that can do double duty, like my Fiestaware. The kids eat cereal out of the bowls in the morning, but they're pretty enough to put out at parties too.

Seven days in, and so far I absolutely love the finished product - I'm kind of a dork, but to me there's nothing like opening a cupboard door or looking in a drawer and seeing a stream-lined, organized space. A prayer: May this Lenten season free me to share more and consume less.


Weekend Bloggy ReadingIHeart Organizing

10 comments:

  1. It looks great! Sooo neat and organized.. super job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and organized. I love the fiestaware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a week!! Thanks for leading the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a dork, certainly not! I did an entire post about organizing my pantry! I still get giddy when I open the door and see how beautifully organized it still is...lol! I'm a new Linky Follower!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Purging, my favorite. I love it! You've got a great start here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so exciting, you must feel so incredible for all you are getting accomplished!

    Congratulations and thank you so much for linking up and sharing!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just shared your blog post with all my friends on FB to encourage them to dig in and organize. I've already cleaned out my incredible mess of spices! My kitchen smells like an Italian restaurant! I'm now working on our food cupboard in the kitchen. I must admit I've already used two big bags in my recycle bins and many other bags in the trash. When this is done one more cabinet down the hall and I'll call it a day. Thanks so much for sharing such an inspirational post to get my cleaning juices flowing...Hugs, Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it inspiring! I'm really enjoying the challenge and it's great way to get ready for spring!

      Delete
  8. I love this!! We are moving across the country in 6 weeks and I have been researching topics like organization. This is a great way to get organized for a move!!

    I have gathered all "like" things into the same space or container so that they are easier to find when we unpack, ie: things that stick (tape, glue, stickers, or spray adhesive), things that cut (die cuts, scissors, wrapping paper slicer....) and other things like every single marker in the house in one place.

    Should have done this a while ago, but I came across your blog and it is so full of ideas! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - thanks for this post! Your tidy spaces look great. And I know what you mean about so enjoying the clean places you have already worked on. I've linked to your post on my blog today, as part of my own 40 bag challenge. Just thought you'd like to know!
    http://meerkatmarlene.blogspot.ca/2013/01/sorting-and-40-bag-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...