Tuesday, January 22, 2013

living it up {down} in Basement-ville.


Twelve weeks + many decisions, subcontractors, noisy days (oh, and some dollars) later, the basement is finished!

True story: I am completely smitten with the space. The first few days after it was all done, I found myself wandering downstairs just to sit on the new carpet and take in the sights.

Some people have asked to see pictures of the basement, so I thought I'd share them here. I don't know how those real estate photographers do it because it is really hard to capture the essence of a space on camera. Ideally, you should come on over for coffee, and I'll give you the grand tour myself!


Approximately one half of the space is a long room pictured here (above and below) which we will use as a TV area and play area. The door seen in the picture below opens up to a large walk-in closet perfect for storing toys, games, and the components for the TV.


I really, really love the sconces (which were a bit of a last minute decision as the electrician explained to me that there was no place to fit lighting into the bulkhead on account of the duct work).


The second main area, to the right of the stairs, is an open square-ish room that we will use as dedicated office space. I am grateful for a great work-at-home gig, but I'll be glad to get out of a corner of the dining room and be able to spread out a bit.


The blueprint really maximized the space down here and allowed for three really great closets. The one above will be near the desk area and will hold office, crafting, and scrapbooking supplies.


One last view looking from the office area back over to the family room area. I was worried about the basement feeling dark -- there are four windows but one is in the bathroom under the deck and one looks out under the back addition -- but I think all the white down here along with the recessed lighting keeps things bright.

Paint colors: Benjamin Moore White Dove & Galveston Gray
Carpet: Signature Gravel Path, Century Flooring. Doors: Masonite. Sconces: The Lighting Corner.


The third area is the bathroom. Because it was already plumbed for a shower and because Dylan will eventually reach the point in life when he doesn't really want to share the hall bathroom with his sisters, we went ahead and added a shower to the space.


There were a lot of decisions to be made in here and it probably caused me the most stress, but in the end, I love the way everything turned out. Our main floors tend to be a bit more traditional and down here I wanted to have a little fun.


I really love the floors down here. It might sound crazy but I don't really like ceramic tile. We ended up going with a vinyl tile. The texture is great and it doesn't feel cold under our feet.

Paint Color: Benjamin Moore Amsterdam. Vanity & Mirror: allen + roth PalenciaWilliams Kitchen & Bath. Granite: Santa Cecelia, Williams Kitchen & Bath. Shower Curtain, Towels & Accessories: Target

We worked with a great builder {local peeps, we highly recommend Chet Glass Builders}, and while we can't take credit for the awesome workmanship, it was still a major undertaking for our family, and I'm proud of the way it all turned out.

Next up: bringing down some furniture so I don't have to keep sitting on the floor ;)

6 comments:

  1. Lots of room down there. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous!! We've (and I mean my husband!) been working on our basement for over a year! I can't wait to be at the point where I can post the "after" tour pictures!

    Your basement looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing! I love the lights on the wall. I can't wait to have "after" pictures of our crawlspace to basement conversion...but we are still in the early stages (as in where are we putting the stairs stage).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! Love the paint colors! Can't wait to finish our basement one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! basement conversion london

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...