Wednesday, March 28, 2012

{Holy} Retreat-ing


Last weekend I spent two days on the shores of Lake Michigan on a Holy Yoga retreat.

Um hmmm. I know.

I discovered Holy Yoga about a year ago because a woman at our church started offering a (free!) class once a week. We were just getting into our workout challenge and figured it would be a nice way to add some variety and community into our exercise routine. We wound up with a little more than we bargained for.

Holy Yoga is basically a Christian form of yoga. In a nutshell, it includes a lot of the beautiful parts of traditional yoga without any of the new age-ish elements...I like to call it "Jesus Yoga" (for more on what Holy Yoga is about, go here). I love the connection that Holy Yoga makes between what's going on in my physical self and what's going on in my spiritual self.

I received an email from the Holy Yoga instructor about a month ago about a retreat in March, and I instantly had this sense like this is something I would really like to do. I hadn't been practicing yoga lately because our weekly schedule and pace of life doesn't currently allow for it, but I jumped on board quickly and said yes. For the next couple of weeks I wondered what on earth I had gotten myself into.

In the end, it ended up being a really sacred, restorative, beautiful weekend. There were no expectations, nothing was forced, everything flowed together seamlessly. (Kind of like a really great yoga practice. Crazy.) I met some amazing women who left a deep impression on me. We ate, conversed, laughed, listened, sat still, and spent a lot of quality time on our mats.


I think I will always look back on this weekend as a marker...a milestone...an in between place on my way to some place else.

{My Retreat Reflections}
AKA [Almost] Everything I needed to know about life I learned on a Holy Yoga retreat.

  1. Slow down.
  2. When God nudges you, listen.
  3. We all carry a story.
  4. Women are beautiful, beautiful creatures.
  5. A friendship isn't really cemented until you've shared a pull-out couch.
  6. Deep, sometimes silent, soul-shaking laughter is where it's at.
  7. We must root down to rise up.
  8. Yes is more fun than no.
  9. Gluten-free communion crackers are really, really crunchy, i.e. LOUD (Plan your crunching wisely!)
  10. God wants your heart above your head.
  11. We can learn from each other when we take the time to listen.
  12. Yes, you can make an amazing cake out of black beans (of all things!)
  13. Two are better than one.
  14. Don't forget to breathe.

And lastly, this poem was shared on the retreat and it spoke deeply to my heart. I hope it speaks to yours as well.

Life is Calling 
A small investment in one step 
Produces rich results 
Beyond what you can dream 
So shelve the hideaways 
The high performance 
The hardeners 
The penetrating grey 
And take on a whole new beautiful 
Turn ordinary works into 
An extraordinary existence 
Everything you need to turn 
Slate blue into summer straw 
Is here 
Welcome to safety - and adventure 
On a path that suits your 
Specific needs 
In a way you can’t imagine 
Life is calling 
To one step 
No preparation 
Just a leap of Faith 
So be transformed by the falling 
Start as who you think you are 
And find joyous, dancing water. 

-Kelly Moore

8 comments:

  1. beautifully said!

    and, if God wants our hearts above our heads, maybe we should have stayed on the "right" side of the bed;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my yoga instructors is certified in Holy Yoga. Her classes are unlike any I have ever attended! I have been doing yoga for years and never heard of it until recently. I bet the retreat was very great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like fun! I wonder if we have anything like that down here.. hmmm.. Ill have to look! Glad you had a nice time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said. I need some enlightening. I hope I could somehow find a group here in my place like that ones you have there in Holy Yoga D;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the cake recipe in case anyone is interested!
    (it's made without flour, sugar, or dairy. Low carb and gluten-free...and the secret ingredient is black beans!)
    http://www.healthyindulgences.net/2009/05/healthy-chocolate-cake-with-secret.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, it's the first time I'm hearing about this. I've always been turned off because of the new ageyness :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! Do they have this retreat every year? In HIM, ANna M. Brunsink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ANna! Are you local? They offer these retreats a couple times a year. If you'd like more info, please email me at katie(dot)terpstra(at)gmail(dot)com!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...