Monday, August 9, 2010

Currently Reading: Bible Story Books

I have been trying to make a conscious effort to surround my kids with Bible stories and verses lately. A couple of weeks ago we had a really rough week and I thought to myself, "These kids need more Jesus in them!" Since then we have learned a few memory verses together and read a whole lot of stories. Here are a few of my favorite children's books that I thought I would pass along.

The Jesus Story Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name - we received this as a gift through Dylan's preschool and I love the way this one tells the Bible in the framework of one great story - very intriguing to little ones and cool artwork too!

Read Aloud Bible Stories
- there are actually 4 or 5 books in this series. Each book has 4-5 stories in it and it's a larger coffee table sized book. These books were given to us by Nana T. I still remember reading the Easter story to Ella for the first time and then having her repeat back the entire story almost word for word - this author does an amazing job retelling Bible stories in a simplistic and repetitive yet beautiful way.

Five Minute Devotions for Children - I heard about this book during a MOPS meeting last year and I just received it from amazon.com the other day. This book is great for 3-4-5 year olds as each devotion describes an animal and how it was created by God and then relates it to a child's life. My kids wanted to read straight through the book in one sitting. (Note: I searched high and low for this book and finally ordered it on-line; yesterday I was at Target and turned around and there it was! So check Target first!)

Since I have been more intentional about reading Bible stories to the kids and learning verses together and talking about what it all means, I do believe there has been more peace in our house. It is so easy for me to get caught up in the day to day business of life. It is a constant battle to slow down, listen, get down on the floor, and remember to hold each of my kids close every day. We are far from perfect, but the moments I have shared with my kids these past few weeks have been priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...