Monday, August 30, 2010

peaches

I noticed on Facebook last week that my friend Sara had done some peaches - not canned, but ready for the freezer instead. Canning is still a little intimidating for me (I did applesauce once but in my mother-in-law's kitchen - I'm not ready to go solo yet!). I have done strawberry freezer jam before so I figured I could handle freezer peaches.

I picked up 1/2 bushel of peaches from Well's Orchard on Friday (I've heard they are the best - $16 and there were about 60 peaches in there). I let them sit out for a couple of days and yesterday, I got through about 2/3 of those. Here are the directions I used in case you want to give it a try.

The peeling wasn't too bad. Here's the method I used: Dip the fruit in boiling water for 30 to 45 seconds. Remove peaches from the boiling water using a slotted spoon and put into a large bowl or pot of cold water and ice for several minutes. The skins came off pretty easily after that.

Here are the directions Sara sent me:

1) Peel the skin with a sharp paring knife and all the yukky part that clings to the stone or pit.

2) Cut into bite size pieces and place into 1 qt glass measuring container.

3) Once you have one full quart, transfer to large plastic bowl so you can mix it around.

4) Add 1 TBSP fruit fresh (keeps from browning and stays fresher, longer) and anywhere from 1/4 up to 2/3 cup of sugar... depending on your taste.

5) Let it sit and "marinade" in the mixture for about 10 minutes. (This is when I get back to peeling and pitting again. A long process but you will appreciate it in the end.)

6) Pour mixture into freezer containers. Make sure you don't fill too full as they will expand during freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...