Monday, April 4, 2011

it's about time

It's April and I haven't forgotten about my 11 for 2011. (If there is one thing this experiment in exercise has taught me it's willpower and I REFUSE to be another failed resolution statistic.)

I'm happy to report that I have made serious progress on three more resolutions since last check namely #3 Be more intentional with my time; #5 Spend less time on Facebook; and #7 Read every day to my kids.

Everyone's daily time situation is different (obviously) besides the fact that we all get 24 hours each day. For me, the problem was being able to disengage from the internet and the computer since as a stay-at-home mom it's my main outlet to the outside world and as a part-time work-from-home employee it's also how I get work done, make money, use my brain (on non-kid related tasks), etc.

The problem was I was feeling bored, burnt out and distracted. I was doing a lot of different things during the day but I wasn't really doing any of them completely or very well. I was also finding that my hours and days were blending into each other...there was nothing distinctive about any of them and I was starting to find that a tad bit depressing (for some more thoughts on God's gift of time, seasons, and rhythms, go here. My favorite line: "We need rhythm in our time—it’s what makes one moment different from another. It gives shape and color and form to all of life.")

This subject has been on my mind for months now but I couldn't quite push myself to make the changes (or be able to stick with them). We watched a Nooma with our house church last Sunday about the choices we make - the things we hold on to...and the other things we miss out on in the process - that finally pushed me over the edge.

My solution has been to give myself "office hours". I am on-line in the afternoon during nap time/quiet time and then again after the kids are in bed. In between, I simply turn the computer off. I have also streamlined my blog reading and my Facebook-ing (I try to "hide" "friends" who I don't have day-to-day contact with...sorry guy that I had 9th grade history with...)

Not exactly rocket science but it's working for me. It took me a couple of days to re-orient myself...it's amazing how quick I am to head to the computer to check my email or Facebook when I am the slightest bit bored. Now that I am used to the new routine my mornings aren't as rushed, lunch time isn't so stressful, homework actually gets done right after school, dinnertime is more relaxed, and bedtime once again includes reading books.

The irony is that instead of being less "productive" I am actually fitting more than ever into my days when I'm not on-line. Not to worry...I'm not becoming a crazy overachiever, I just have time to fit in all the little things I want to do...exercise, drink tea, scrapbook, crawl around on the floor with the baby, catch up on the HGTV shows piling up on the DVR, bake cookies, organize closets, nap, etc. On the flip side, I'm making much better use of my time when I am on-line. Who has time to waste on Facebook when there is work (the paycheck-producing kind!) to be done? 

On that note, I'm moving resolutions #3, #5, and #7 to the A+ Work category, and I have been keeping up with resolutions #1, #2, #8 and #9...here's hoping they are no longer resolutions and have become full-fledged h-a-b-i-t-s...but I still have a few more to tackle. Thank goodness there are still 8 months left in the year!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...