Sunday, May 13, 2012

Menu Plan Monday | 5.14.12


Last week was ground-breaking in the menu planning arena: I set my sights on using my quinoa in a recipe and then it actually happened. I made these Spicy Quinoa Burgers on Wednesday night. {Also noteworthy: I now have an entire pinboard devoted exclusively to quinoa.}

I have never attempted making or serving a veggie burger to the fam for dinner. The kids could have cared less, but they were a big hit with the hubby. He l-o-v-e-d them. I could have gone either way...but I think it was a texture thing and I didn't let them get crispy enough because we were trying to get out the door for a baseball game. 

Verdict: give them a try. The ingredients are incredible - sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, quinoa, oats, sunflower seeds, and a slew of spices. We served them on a bun with sweet potato oven fries on the side, but I'm thinking they might good in pita bread. Or eaten plain (like Matt did with the leftovers) if you're going for GF.

It's my third week of menu planning mania, and I hope I'm hitting my stride. We have a busy week coming up (and we're starting HelloMornings tomorrow!), and I need to make sure I get my planning and my shopping in place before it begins. Here we go:

Monday
Open/Leftover's = Matt's working late

Lunch: Quinoa & Apple Salad with Curry Dressing

I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a new lunch recipe every now and then. I'm not a sandwich girl and Matt almost always packs a lunch for work. This one caught my eye (turns out I happen to love the texture of quinoa) and curry is one of our favorites.

Tuesday
Old Standby = Bob's Burgers on the grill

The weather looks beautiful here this week. There is a local butcher shop in town that I love buying our meat from. It's always bustling in there, the meat tastes great and Bob himself is almost always behind the counter, cheerfully waiting on customers.

Wednesday

My friend Hannah authors this blog called The Whole Kitchen. Her family enjoys a Paleo-inspired diet, and she is passionate about healthy, whole food. I've had my eye on this recipe since she first posted it a few weeks ago. (Another one worth pinning: Theresa made Hannah's Creamy Chicken Alfredo last week and said it was incredible.)

Thursday
Crock-Pot = Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos

It doesn't get any easier than this: chicken, taco seasoning, and salsa all dumped into the Crock-Pot in the afternoon. We're a soft shell kind of family, and everyone loves to build their own creations.

Friday/Saturday
The girls are heading to Chicago for an American Girl weekend! The boys are on their own.

Treat
Theresa had a great idea to add one new treat onto each week's menu as well. This week's treat = Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins.

These look easy and delicious. I love a good pumpkin muffin and the quinoa seems like a good twist. One substitution I know I'll be making: chocolate chips instead of the raisins. (Is that even a question??)


Happy Mother's Day week, Mamma's!
{Yes, I said week...take it if you can get it!}

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear about the quinoa, apple, curry salad.... !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...